Hello everyone (and hopefully the Spitfire Team),
I was very hopeful upon discovering the BBCSO and my excitement lead me to a preorder. I am not the only one who is disappointed. There are some glaring issues:
- Who is this library for? Beginners (Universal Starting Point)? Couldn't be; it's way too expensive in both price and system resources. Pros (Game-changing to have all one needs in a single plugin)? No, there is nothing unique about the library content wise.
- Faulty Dynamic Layering and Cross-Fading - If you've used the library, especially the brass, you know what I mean. The dynamics and vibrato cross-fading is really bumpy, for everything, and there are not enough dynamic velocity layers given the price and the objective: to replace all other libraries in a single plugin.
- The Award-Winning Interface - What award did it win? It may be pretty, but that's the problem! It tries to hard to be pretty instead of being functional. We paid a fortune for pretty sounds and a functional application, I am not going to frame the plugin on my wall!
- The Performance - It has improved, but it is still far from what we paid for.
- Issues With Some Sounds - The piatti crash (not dampened), for example, is unusable, and the bells have a muddy low end.
So, what is my request? Requests actually:
- Your interface, your dedicated plugin – scrap it for everything: Eric Whitacre Choir, Hans Zimmer Strings, Epic Originals, LABS, and replace it with the “SPITFIRE SAMPLER” or what have you. Like what Orchestral Tools has made (The SINE Player), with all your libraries in one place, the ability to load multiple patches or only one articulation, to merge mic signals to save resources, to disable round robins and dynamic layers (not that you have them to disable), to control legato, and an envelope.
- Renovate your app. Include a store page. But most importantly, design a system for users to download what they want. Create download packages e.g. Strings CTAO, Brass CTAO, The Orchestra Mixes 1 & 2 to make it more accessible to people with smaller drives or less storage space. Don’t make them order your drive to go along with it, that’s another $250!
- Make the BBCSO a subscription service so that it is more accessible to beginners, so it can be a true universal starting point. Perhaps have different options with less or more articulations or mic signals.
- Listen to your community. Add a feedback page to your app or The Page. I am not the only one dissatisfied. I read and watched many reviews and complaints before writing my own.
I realize you’re are on a time crunch with the BBC Symphony Orchestra leaving Maida Vale Studios, but you need to begin damage control, especially since the BBCSO is losing steam quickly.
Please sign in to leave a comment.